Thursday, November 6, 2008

Another Good Old Day....long, long, ago....


It has been a long search that I was never sure would come to an end. However, much to my surprise, yesterday, while helping my Dad move, we found a photograph that I have been searching for over the years. The picture is a day that I remember like yesterday. As far as I know, it was the first time I ever drove anything that had it's own power supply. One of my Dad's good friends and fellow Model A Ford restorers, had bought a new riding lawn mower. I don't know how old I was but I'm guessing it was somewhere in the vicinity of 6 - 7 years old. Anyways, we were down at his house checking out the new mower and talking shop about model A's when he asked me if I wanted to try it out. To this day, I remember the excitement and amazement that I was going to get to DRIVE. I don't recall many specifics about the drive but I remember how cool it was to be steering something that would go wherever I directed it. The one thing I do remember, in particular, was when I ran straight into the rock wall that surrounded a tall oak tree in the middle of the yard. I was petrified that I had broken something and was going to be in major trouble. However, fortunately for me, I learned something about patience and understanding that day. My Dad's friend didn't even get mad. They came over and pulled me backwards and he explained to me that I had to be quicker on the turn when approaching walls and trees. Then, believe it or not, they both set me free to drive some more. It was a great day and although I don't know exactly when it was, I have always remembered that day. My Dad's friend passed away about a year and a half ago and of the many memories from my early childhood that I had of him, this was one day that stood out for me while I listened to his funeral service, which was, in itself, quite unique. (I'll have to save that for a future blog post). Anyways, for a long time, I knew that there was a picture in existence from that day of me on the mower but have never been able to find it until yesterday. So, here it is, my first real drive that I can remember.

One thought for the day is that when I look back on that day, I realize that it was probably just another nice day for the two other people who shared it with me. However, for me, it is a day that meant so much that it has lived in my memory for probably 30 years. Always remember that we each have that ability to make someone's day special even when we don't know it. Never take days spent with family and friends for granted, you may just be making a memory for someone that will live on with them for their lifetime. Thanks to my Dad and Mr. P for this awesome memory of a very special day for a budding car enthusiast!

1 comment:

scoop said...

Daniel, that is a such a nice post...and the picture of you is super cute..who knew?!? :) It's amazing how much kids just want to be loved and given a little independence, isn't it?