Monday, January 19, 2009

2009 Dodge Nitro SLT


Over the past 2 weeks, I have been trying out, and enjoying, a new Dodge Nitro. I have liked these different looking little suv's since they first came out and what person wouldn't love the commercials where the guy with the Nitro attempts to jump start a car in a parking lot and when the cables are hooked up, the car rockets into the sky? Anyways, at the base of the Nitro is a Jeep Liberty chassis and drivetrain. In fact, even the interior is the same. That said, I won't really get into a full blown review on this one since I have already written about the new Liberty and the review would be identical, as are the mechanical aspects of both vehicles.

The exterior of both the liberty and Nitro is appealing to me. I think if I had to choose one over the other, I would probably take the nitro but it's hard to say because I do like both. This particular Nitro that I've been trying out has the optional 20 inch chrome wheels on it which make it look quite different than the regular models. I've never gotten on the big wheel/skinny tire bandwagon but I have to say that I do like the way these look on this particular vehicle. There seems to be just enough tire on the rim to not look stupid! Hahaha! Anyways, if I were buying one, I would likely not opt for these since the price of new tires is outrageous...more outrageous than just regularly priced outrageous! I love the fender flares and the large, bold front grill on this vehicle. I think that it kinda reminds me of vehicles from the 30's in that respect and I have always had an affinity for such vehicles. In fact, if you look at one of these from a distance, you'll see what I mean. Otherwise, there isn't much difference between the Nitro and Liberty so it really just becomes a personal preference.

As I stated when I had the liberty, these vehicles are a bit loud and more rough than most in their class such as the Ford Escape, Toyota Rav4, and Hyundai Santa Fe. However, I think that most people buying a Jeep or Nitro actually like that more rugged feel. An extra complaint about this nitro concerns the sunroof. With the sunroof fully open at highway speeds, I couldn't believe the amount of wind noise coming into the cab. It is hands down the most noise from a sunroof that I have ever experienced. Honestly, a convertible with the top down is quieter! They do have plenty of power and ride ok but the gas mileage leaves a lot to be desired. I averaged 17mpg in the nitro with a fair mix of city/hwy driving so don't buy one of these if you would prefer something larger because honestly, something larger will get the same or better mileage!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I like it too. It's different and kinda edgy. We need to get together with Becky and Beth again soon. Maybe we can do a Wednesday now with Nathan off in the evenings. I usually have rehearsal that night but I can swap nights for that!