
No, my hat isn't in the flame, it just looks that way because the photographer was trying to keep his distance and wound up at a strange angle, hahaha! Every year at deer camp with my three buddies, I traditionally fire up one of my old Coleman lanterns. Specifically, a model 228, made in Wichita, Kansas, in 1962. It's always funny because everyone gets scared that I'm going to blow the place up with my lantern. Upon initial lighting, it does throw quite a flame prior to settling down and giving off hours of the bright, beautiful glow that Coleman lanterns are known for. Sure, I could replace the generator and the seal in the valve but what fun would that be? Honestly, it works fine after the first minute anyways! Much of my excitement on the trip is listening to these guys who think I am absolutely nuts to keep using this old thing year after year. I assure you, as I always do them, that if you stay out of the flame itself, there is no real danger with this. I can go on and on and on about how these lanterns function and why you really don't have to worry that one is going to explode on you but I will spare you the details for now, haha! The first couple of years that I took this lantern out to camp, I always planned on rebuilding it during the off season so that I wouldn't be putting on a pyro technics show whenever I fired it up BUT it's so funny listening to everyone express concern for their lives that I decided to keep it as it is. This year, my buddy Mando decided to take some pictures of me in the process and when he emailed them to me, I felt obliged to include them as part of my blog. Yes, I'm crazy but no there isn't a chance that I'm going to blow up the camp during this traditional activity of mine. Actually, sometimes, while sitting in a blind freezing to death, I find myself wishing that the flame actually would last so that I could have it burning in the blind for warmth, hahaha!
This trip that we take every year does carry with it several traditions and this is one of my favorites...just getting to pull out one of my old lanterns and firing it up. Sure, I could take a newer, mess and hassle free propane lantern out there with me but it just wouldn't be the same now would it? One day, I may decide to fix this one up and eliminate the fire show that I put on once a year but for now, I'll just enjoy it the way it is. After all, it has survived 47 years and is still glowing strong:)

2 comments:
That's a great picture! A little David Copperfield-esque. :)
Glad you got some time to recharge your battery doing something you love with good friends. Even though Nathan's not a hunter, I do think I would enjoy it! I love to shoot a gun! i don't know why, but I do.
Post a Comment