Thursday, September 4, 2008

2009 Chevrolet Trailblazer


Back in the day, we just called 'em blazers. Add a 2nd set of doors and I guess you get the longer name, eh? Anyways, recently I have been driving a new Trailblazer LT. Overall, as a standard sized suv, I like it. It has a nice ride, is a smooth runner, and gets a hair better mileage than most of the suv's this size. As you can see from the picture that I will soon post, for a regular ole' suv, it does have some style to it. This particular model, the LT, has the upscale wheels, running boards, and color-matched grill that, when all combined, make for a rather sporty looking soccer mom vehicle, I think. This one also has power leather seats and most every ammenity available on the interior with the exception of a sunroof. It's got one set of seats in the rear so, at the most, it could be considered a 5 seater. However, it has a good amount of storage space behind that seat so there is plenty of room for luggage or whatever else your group of 4 or 5 want to haul around. The rear seat does fold forward and create an even larger cargo area if need be. Still, I wish that the SUV makers would take the hint from the stow - n - go vans because that would be really awesome! I digress. As I said, the trailblazer has a smooth ride on the road and absorbs all but the largest bumps and potholes quite well. It's a quiet ride and while idling, you can't really feel the inline 6 cylinder at all. Yep, that's right, just like JD's old Chevelle, this thing has 6 cylinders all in a row. I find this to be unique in today's auto world and I have to say that I've been thoroughly impressed with the smoothness, quietness, and power this 6 offers up. As for economy, well, it is an suv so don't expect to be passing by too many fuel pumps. Nevertheless, compared to the others in this group that I have driven, it's actually pretty decent, especially on the road. Overall, I averaged about 18-19 mpg but on the highway I got 22-23mpg which is really pretty good when you figure the size, weight and towing ability that the trailblazer has. This model comes standard with a receiver hitch and plug-in for a trailer. It has ample power, weight, and braking to pull a regular-sized family pleasure boat to the lake or haul a moving trailer from house to house.

My only real complaints about this model are a couple of picky, interior issues. First of all, the gear shift is located at the center console, between the 2 front bucket seats. I have no problem with this except that when the vehicle is in park, the shift lever is so far up that if you have a large cup in the cupholder, it runs into it and forces you to move the cup or be faced with a soda bath! That leads me to my 2nd complaint of not enough cup holders. It has 2 small ones in front of the shift lever, one behind it and then a 2 cup holder for the rear seat passengers. I have grown accustomed to having either a holder on the side of the door, rear of the center console armrests, or sufficient room for both my daughter and I to have our huge fountain drink cups in the middle. I know, it's petty, but these are the things that frustrate me. Other than this, I'd like the front seats to fit me a little better but that's just a matter of my own personal preference and I guess it just depends on a person's shape what kind of seats they prefer.
Overall, the Chevrolet trailblazer seems to be a well-made, good running, comfortable suv that, for it's class, is fairly economical to operate and very easy to drive. I would recommend one to any family looking to downsize from the traditional larger suv's or looking for a replacement for a similar sized model.

My report card:

styling: B+
comfort: A-
Ride: A
Economy: C
Drivetrain: A

Overall: A-

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Hey Big B! I'm glad to see your blogging is back up and running! You need to come and visit me sometime....maybe dinner on Wednesday? We can go to your moms and play cards. Nathan is afraid I'm going to get too lonely while he's gone. I sure do miss him, though.

john said...

Hey Dan,

Liked the reference to the Chevelle.
When are you going to write about sub-compacts???

JK

JND

Daniel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daniel said...

2nd try...I'll have to try a subcompact or 2 out soon for anyone who might be wanting to save some serious gas $$. As for the Chevelle, it holds a dear place in our hearts and always will..what a good 1st car for Big D that would make...especially if his driving doesn't change from the go cart to the street, eh? Hahaha!