Today was Grandpa's birthday, 96 years ago. It's hard for me to even believe that he has been gone for 7 years already. I can still see him and hear him telling jokes and making wisecracks like he was just standing here a day ago. Yet, at the same time, I have missed all of that so much over these last few years. I have thought about writing this post for much of the summer and how I could possibly condense all of my thoughts about my Grandpa into a paragraph or two. Well, that just isn't possible. I have decided that the best birthday present I could honor him with today is to tell one of my favorite stories that he taught me and pass it on. Knowing how much Grandpa loved a good story and loved to make us laugh, I think he would love to know that he still lives on through the stories and jokes that we all remember. In fact, if you were to ask my daughter about this one, she can tell it to you word for word....The Legend of Falling Rock.
Many years ago, when the Indians roamed the open praries and lands that would one day become the United States, there was a young Indian boy named Falling Rock. Falling Rock had reached the age where it was his turn to take the rites of passage in order to become a man in his tribe. Falling Rock's father was the chief of their tribe and so it goes that one day he sent young Falling Rock out into the woods for several days on his own. Upon returning, there would be a great ceremony and Falling Rock would then be considered a MAN. Every young Indian boy anxiously awaited the day that he would be chosen to go. Well, as the legend goes, Falling Rock eagerly went out into the forest to prove his worth and ability to survive, thereby earning his manhood. Unfortunately, Falling Rock never returned from that journey into the woods. Falling Rock's father and mother were stricken with grief and sadness over their missing son. They sent word throughout the land to be on the lookout for him. In fact, as Grandpa would tell us, Falling Rock was never found and is still being looked for today. The next time you're driving down the highway and see one of the many signs that reads, "Watch for Falling Rock", you'll know what it means so be sure and keep you're eyes open for a young, lost, Indian spirit who was known as Falling Rock.
I hope this story made someone laugh when they read it and to those who had heard it, I hope it makes you smile and remember him telling it. Grandpa was known for stories like this one and many others. Who knows where he got them all or how he remembered them but I am proud to pass them on so that others may enjoy them too. Grandpa, thanks for being my hero and always making me laugh and think for myself. Happy birthday, we sure miss you down here and love you very much.

2 comments:
What a heartfelt, touching sentiment, thanks for sharing that. Obviously, the storytelling gene was passed from your grandpa on to you. It is a wonderful living tribute to him that the thing you remember him most fondly for is such an integral part of your character.
I laughed! That's a cute story!! I remember his funeral. Hearing his obituary read that day I remember leaning over to Becky saying, "All of this sounds so much like Nathan and Daniel!". Things like he was so helpful....he loved to take things apart...put them back together....he loved to build things. He was a great man who instilled amazing values in you and in Nathan. It's so apparant that family was on the top of his list. Love you!! Happy Birthday to your grandpa!
Post a Comment