
This past week I went up to the lake for a nice day of r&r. I had a great time with myself and thoroughly enjoyed running around the lake in the boat for a day just relaxing, fishing, and enjoying the gorgeous weather. It is however, disheartening, to see how low the water level is as a result of the lack of rain over the past year. The picture above is of the public boat ramp that we normally use....as you can see if you zoom in on it, you can literally walk off the end of the ramp onto the land and still be several yards from the receded shore line. It's really sad and it also makes things kind of scary because there are so many trees, rocks, and islands sticking up out of the water that are usually completely submerged several feet beneath. The lake was actually 13 feet below normal this week, the lowest level it has ever been down to.
Of course, we can't blame nature for all of this because the fact is, the reason it's at the lowest level ever is due to two things. One, the lack of rain, over which we have absolutely no control. Secondly, in recent years, the lake water has been sold to surrounding communities for an additional water supply. It is my opinion that this is a huge mistake and will eventually come to haunt those who make these decisions that are purely and entirely based on financial gain. After seeing the lake in this condition, I came to the realization that it may not be crazy to think that the lake we all grew up enjoying may one day no longer be navigable by any type of water craft short of a kayak or airboat. I hope it isn't so but I have never seen it this bad before and already fear what a dry summer will bring about. After all, no rain hurts enough and then to think that all of the cities that are using this water will increase their consumption when they too don't get any rain all summer...I can only imagine how low it's going to get.

I will end on a happy note, however. The lake is still gorgeous and for me, watching the sun rise or sun set on the water is one of the most beautiful earthly sights I have ever seen. It is and hopefully always will be, a place where I can go to get away from it all and think about good times. Good times past, good times present, and many more good times to come!

4 comments:
WOW- that is low! I hope that this summer brings a lot of rain this year. One- because it's gonna be so hot and two- because I want more water in our lakes!
Even though its 13 feet below, I'm glad you found time to get out there and enjoy the day!
Wow; i'm shocked. When I was a kid it was really low several times but this is something else! It's amazing because that area usually gets so much rain it's ridiculous but I know the last several years have been really dry...yikes. Glad you enjoyed. I'm going to my 20 year HS reunion in a few weeks and will probably head out there since I haven't been out there in a decade!
Wow, the lake is in really bad shape. We're probably taking the kids out on Lake Travis today. I think it's about 20 feet below where it's supposed to be. Hopefully more rain is on it's way.
I put some pictures of Lake Travis on my blog. I was shocked at just how low it was.
Post a Comment