Monday, June 8, 2009

2010 Chevrolet Camaro


FINALLY....the camaros are out! That's right, I finally found a car that I'm excited to add to my blog posts! For those of you who had no idea that Chevrolet was reintroducing the camaro this year, shame on you. This car has been one of the hottest, most exciting topics in the car world for the last year. There has been great anticipation by us car nuts to just lay eyes on our first one! Nicole posted a picture of a red one a few posts back and that is where I will have to refer you since my camera has been having issues lately. However, if there is still anyone in America who hasn't seen a picture of one of these beasts, it shouldn't be too hard to google it!

A little over a week ago, I had my first opportunity to see, feel, touch, and sit in the new camaro. I called my fellow car nut, brother, and crazy person to come over and check it out with me. We met up about 2:00 in the morning and drooled all over this car sitting in our warehouse. We did everything possible to check it out except drive it. In my opinion, the car looks awesome. They couldn't have done a much better job on a body as far as styling and cues that resemble the original camaros of the late 60's. Truthfully, the only exterior styling change that I would make would be to make the fake rear tire cooling vents actually genuine. Sure, something most wouldn't notice but the car has 3 indentions just to the front of the rear fender well and they are kinda cheesy looking because they have no function. However, the car is so sleek and stylish that when looking at the whole thing, these just blend in. The car has a very bold, almost wicked look to it and it really speaks to nuts like me!

Over the last 3 days, I was finally able to drive two different camaros for the first time! At this time, most will probably agree that the greatest thing about driving one of these around town is that it gets a huge amount of attention. The second one I had was a beautiful, bright yellow; for those of you who saw the movie Transformers, you know what it looks like only without the stripes. Between the yellow color and the sleek, unique look, people can't seem to help but take a second glance! If you ever wanted to feel famous, this car, at this time, will give you the opportunity. In addition to all of the stares and gawks, everywhere and anywhere that you stop, you should be prepared to answer some questions. What engine? How fast? How much? How does it feel? Can I sit in it? The list goes on and on.

There are some things about the camaro besides the faux vents mentioned above that I question. However, they in no way deter from what the car is or how awesome it makes me feel just to look at it. Driving the car, it is quickly noticed that there are 2 large blind spots where the roof sweeps down alongside the rear window. The rear window is a bit small and due to the corners of the roof being larger than most, these blind spots are also larger than most. This seems to be a problem on many of the newer, more stylish vehicles but it just means that the driver has to be aware of these areas and compensate for them. This brings me to another window issue, the small triangular rear side windows. You may think they look small from the outside but they look even smaller from the rear seat! Still, they are stylish and definitely add to the retro look of the car. Unfortunately, they do not open like the originals did in the 60's:( The interior gauges and dash lighting are a nice, calming, light aqua-blue color...much like that of an indiglo watch. The door lock switch is located on the lower portion of the center console, meaning that there is only one power lock switch which can be reached by either the driver or passenger. This seemed stupid to me at first because I can't understand why these manufacturers just don't leave universal, NORMAL, things alone. However, I suppose it saved something by only having to put in one switch as opposed to two, right? The SS model also has an additional cluster of four gauges, just to the front of the center console as well....very retro in appearance! The thing I hate most about the interior is that the information center controls (trip meter, fuel consumption meter, system check, etc..etc..) are located on a stalk instead of a push button on the dash or the instrument panel itself, as with most normal vehicles. This drives me crazy and in three days, I have yet to become used to it and accept it. Finally, my second biggest gripe about the interior is, once again, the cupholder issue. Holy crap, what are they thinking...muscle car guys use muscle car cups, right? So, how about some room for them? There are the 2 standard cupholders in the center console and that's it! Come on Chevy, you took the door lock switch out of the door so how about adding a cup holder pocket, eh?

This is one BAD SS car all the way around. The exterior styling is obvious and this thing just pours out tough, mean, and wicked, all in one glance. The SS model has a few styling cues that are different than the lesser LT models, allowing it to look even more mean. Of course, it is. The SS has a 426 HP V-8 that will still average over 20mpg. However, even the base model has a V-6 with 304 HP, much more HP than most vehicles on the road, and only 11 HP less than the new Mustang GT's V-8! The camaro's V-8 is much like that of the G-8 GT which I previously reviewed. It is more than potent and makes acceleration effortless and seat slamming for those sitting behind this power plant. The V-6 obvoiusly has plenty of power to do the job and do it more quickly than most...it will outrun most of the Mustang GT's that we all grew up with and it's missing 2 cylinders in comparison! However, my complaint about these new GM musclecars is that the throbbing feel of the power plant just isn't there unless you're really getting on it. Sure, it slams you in your seat and puts a grin on your face like a kid in a candy shop but when I get in a muscle car, I want to hear and feel that there is something powerful lurking under the hood...not a refined, smooth, racing engine. If I want that, I would buy a supercharged 4 banger or V-6 sports car. In short, if I were to buy one of these camaros, it would, of course, have to be the SS and I would have to spring for an aftermarket exhaust kit in order to man it up a little bit. Don't misunderstand me, I don't want one to set off car alarms but I would like it to make my heart throb a little bit, even when sitting still! As far as the two power trains, the exhaust note is my ONLY complaint. Fuel consumption, for what you are driving, is great...almost 30 on the highway with the base model and I'm pretty sure I could baby it over the 30mpg mark if I wasn't in a hurry. Again, even the V-8 powerhouse gets 25 on the highway and just under 20 in the city. The tranny seems flawless, shifting as smoothly as many luxury sedans and with the six speed, highway cruising is very comfortable and quiet. Besides the look of the car, probably the thing I was most impressed with is the ride. This car has a remarkably smooth ride and seems to handle even the roughest roads without any trouble and most importantly, without beating the occupants to death as many sporty cars seem to do. I wouldn't hesitate to plan a road trip in one of these if there were only 2 adults or 2 adults and a small kid or two in tow...comfort would not be a factor nor would economy.

Overall, if you can't tell, I am very impressed with the new camaro. I believe that it will carry the name well and do Chevrolet very, very proud so long as the government doesn't force them to stop making these cars that none of us supposedly want. The car is as stylish as can be, basically looking like a concept that became reality! For me, there will never be a substitute for a good ole' American big block V-8 and there will never be a substitute for the cars of yesteryear. However, if I needed a new car and wanted an awesome looking, good performing, well made muscle car that embodied the same spirit (and still a V-8!) that made me love the first ones, the new camaro SS would be at the top of my list!

1 comment:

erica said...

I've been anxiously awaiting the arrival of this car, too. I saw an SS on thr road the other day. You're right. You can't help but look at it and look and look some more. I tried to take a picture, but it turned out blury. Hopefully, the Camaro will give GM a much needed boost : )