Friday, January 28, 2011

2011 Ford Fiesta Hatchback


This last week, I had the option of trying out the newest sub-compact offering from Ford...the fiesta hatchback. It is also made in a sedan version but the particular body style doesn't appeal to me at all so I went with the hb. Anyways, I actually do like the styling and design of the hatchback body. It looks like a little bitty rocket...it isn't but it looks like one just the same. All in all, I drove about 800 miles in the little buggy and it performed well for what it is. It is important to note that I don't think anyone would buy this expecting a smooth, cushy, quiet, refined ride. It is, I would say, better than one might expect but still no comparison to what I consider, "Real cars".

I will begin by saying that this is for my good friend, JD, who had consistently questioned me as to why I never tried out any of the little cars that have been coming out recently. I don't know how many more of these little dudes I'll be trying out but this one's for you!

Performance wise, it has sufficient power for what it is. Most of the power comes about via down-shifting the six speed transmission whenever the accelerator is depressed very far down. On the road, this has no effect but it is most noticeable when starting and stopping in town. Of course, the small engine/hi-geared transmission combination are part of what allow these little cars to get such good mileage both on the road and in town. Over the course of my time with the fiesta, I averaged exactly 37 mpg. I think this is pretty good for an inexpensive, fairly comfortable, decent looking ride. I do wish it had more than a 12 gallon fuel tank but hey, there's nowhere to put it! As for the ride itself, it is much smoother and forgiving than my old 79 corolla was but it does still feel like a small car, on a very short wheelbase. Most bumps and rough spots in the road are felt and the road noise is certainly more than that experienced in larger cars. Again, not bad at all for what you're riding in but comparatively speaking, not so great for the road.

The interior is well laid out and the front seats are very comfortable. I could sit in the driver's seat and reach completely across to the passenger door without any difficulty...something I am unable to do in most cars. This particular specimen was metallic strawberry red on the outside and white leather w/black trim on the inside....very eye catching. All of the gauges and instrumentation are illuminated in red as well. There are 3 cupholders between the seats although there is no real center console. This is one of my pet peeves in taking this car on the road because you really have nowhere to rest your right arm while cruising along. Still, 3 cupholders are decent for such a small vehicle. This car, as with most new Fords, had the Microsoft Sync system that allows you to synchronize your phone to the car just as you would a bluetooth earpiece. This is extremely nice on the road because you don't have to hold your phone to your ear or ride along with your ear-piece in; you just speak and listen through the car stereo! Additionally, you can sync your IPOD so that you can access it and control it via the stereo controls as well. This eliminates having to hold your IPOD for anything..just use the USB cord to plug it in, sync it, and you can control everything from the steering wheel. Here again, for a miniature car such as this, I think such options are most convenient as well as unexpected. The rear seat would be sufficient for up to two small children but once their legs grow much, they aren't going to want to be stuffed back there for very long. The cargo area, behind the rear seats is completely hidden from view when the hatch is closed. Surprisingly, there is a fair amount of room in the cargo area and of course, if you need more, you can lay the rear seats down as well.

All in all, the fiesta hatchback is a decent little car. The key words here are, "Little car". If you're in the market for a seriously small car that will average over 30 mpg in the city and still be fairly comfortable for it's class, the fiesta might make a good choice. It's not a car I would look at if you're going to do a lot of highway driving out of town on road trips...that's not it's purpose and you'll know it if you take it on a cross country trip. However, for one or two people who just want something affordable and efficient to commute to and from work in the big city, it would serve you well. JD said it best the other day when he left me a message asking me what I thought and saying that I, "Probably found a few high points but in the long run found that bigger cars are better suited for the road trips." AMEN:)

4 comments:

scoop said...

Hi Daniel: Do you have any suggesions on electric cars?

Susan

Nicole said...

I like it. Cute. I'm glad to finally be in the "big car" club, though. Holding on to the MINI will allow me to still get my zippy quick fix. Good to see you yesterday! Hope you have a great Monday. Love you!

erica said...

Daniel, It's good to see you back on your blog! I'm with you on the little car thing : )

Daniel said...

Susan, I may do a post with my electric car opinions...personally, I wouldn't buy one for AT LEAST another year or two so that they can get the bugs worked out. Right now, the VOLT sounds like the top contender but both are ridiculously priced compared to the type of gas vehicle you can buy for the same money...even with the rebate.