
Surprisingly enough, the all new, redesigned from the inside out, Jeep Grand Cherokee has become one of my favorite new rides. I have never been a Jeep fan, in general, and over the last couple of years have avoided their products whenever possible, mostly because of the poor performance on the road and the clunky, cheap feeling that I got when driving most of them. However, it appears that they have figured something out with this new one.
I have had the pleasure of driving a couple of these several thousand miles now and have to say that this new model is everything that the previous one couldn't be. It's not only much better looking from a design standpoint but it also has the performance to match the looks. It's available with either the new 3.6 liter V-6 or 5.7 liter hemi V-8 but honestly the V-6 is the way to go. I'm sure that the 8 is awesome and if gas were no issue, why not go with it but given the current fuel prices, it just isn't worth it. The only reason I wound up trying one of these out on a road trip was because of the 26 gallon fuel tank and the claimed improvement in highway mileage. I felt for sure it was too good to be true after having been stung by Jeeps before. However, I was mistaken and can honestly say that the claims hold up! With the new five speed transmission, shifting is barely even noticeable and the new V6 runs so smoothly that you almost don't know it's on. Those of you who have driven last years' model know that this is a HUGE improvement. No grindy, growling noises or feelings through the accelerator pedal whatsoever. Anyways, while driving normally on the road, I averaged right at 25 miles per gallon. With the big tank, that gets you over 600 miles without filling up. Driving a little more aggressively but still mostly highway, the worst I got was just a hair under 24. Of course, for most who do more city driving than highway driving, these kind of numbers aren't going to happen. My city driving experiences have pegged it closer to between 16-17 on average. Still, not bad for a full size SUV. As I mentioned earlier, the V6 with the five speed automatic is a very smooth runner, smooth shifter, and also has plenty of power for accelerating in most conditions. I can't attest to the towing power but I feel pretty confident that the V6 would be able to handle most any common towing needs. Besides, who really buys one of these to tow HEAVY loads...if you're really doing heavy hauling, buy a truck that's made for it....not a pleasant, family hauler like this.
The interior of the Grand Cherokee is well laid out and easy to manipulate. All stereo and dash intrumentation controls are located on the front and back of the steering wheel, which makes everything very easy to adjust once you get used to how they work. The seats are comfortable and it's one of the few vehicles that actually has enough seat adjustment control to allow you to get it just right. Yes, it's got sufficient cup holders between the center console and front doors. The fit and finish of the interior materials seem to be of high quality and have that, "Soft touch feel" to it that everyone looks for nowadays. One complaint I do have about it is that on a couple of these that I have driven, when you move around in the driver's seat, there is a squeaking noise from the back of the seat. I haven't pinpointed what causes it but I notice it every time I get in and move around to get comfortable. Not a major deal unless you drive around dancing in your seat; and if you're doing that you may want to reconsider your driving technique!
On the road, it's very comfortable and quiet for an suv. It has a smooth ride, again, unlike previous Jeeps and for me, it has proven to be a great vehicle for the long-haul. This thing really has a feel like it is sturdy yet refined and that it will hold up much better than most Jeep owners would be used to.

The exterior of this new Jeep is much more refined than previous years' models. It has a smoother flow with more beveled and rounded edges in addition to a much better looking front and back end. Of course, this is just my opinion but I can tell you that from someone who has avoided Grand Cherokees of the past few years on purpose, I now light up when the opportunity arises to take one of these new ones out. It's a much better looking, and performing specimen and much more in line to gain the Jeep brand some needed market share in the family SUV segment. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend taking a look at one of these if you are in the market for a full size suv. The marketing campaign that Jeep has been running for it is great and if you feel so inclined as to try one out, I do think that you'll be impressed with the improvements and overall performance. It is one of the nicest driving new suv's out there and it is most certainly the most economical full size Jeep product I have ever personally driven.

2 comments:
Hi Daniel--funny I've been hankering for a Jeep lately...not sure where that came from but good to know they are great cars.
Hey there ol' buddy. Great to see another vehicle review. As always...well written and informative. I have always liked the looks of many a Jeep model,(especially the Wrangler and the old-school Wagoneer) but have always heard bad reliability tales. Glad to see that may be changing.
Post a Comment