Wednesday, April 2, 2008

2008 Ford Edge

Alrighty then, here we go. I had a 2008 Ford Edge this past week. I have driven several of these futuristically designed Edges since their debut in 2007 and overall, I'm impressed. I love the exterior and interior styling. The fit and finish are above average and the car has an overall good, quality feel to it. In all honesty, the seats and control arrangement from the driver's perspective are among the best I have found and, to be frank, it's one of my favorite cars as far as driving comfort goes. By that, I mean seating position, seat comfort, etc. The V-6 powerplant is a smooth runner and I believe it recently won an award for engine design. The transmission is one of the smoothest shifting transmissions I have ever had the opportunity to experience....to the point of just BARELY being able to feel it shift and that's only when you're really paying attention and waiting for it. Oh yes, the Limited model has a panoramic sunroof which scores big in my book. It's actually a double sunroof which covers the front and rear seating areas completely. To boot, it also has a sunroof screen which is basically a window shade that actually rolls up into the roof in a flawless, fluid motion that leaves many passengers wondering how in the heck it works! It is fully automatic with the touch of a button. In my opinion, the two disadvantages of this car are economy and road noise. Don't get me wrong, it does have a decent ride but the road noise on the highway is definitely noticeable. My unprofessional opinion as to why is because it has large (18") wheels, low profile tires, and they are located almost directly under the rear seat. Of course, being an SUV, you are basically riding in one big bubble....an open cabin from front to rear. Without a trunk or a frame like a truck or larger suv, there is only so much that can separate the road noise from your ears. As for the economy, this thing likes gas. I have probably driven at least 2000 miles in and Edge now with a pretty good mix of city/highway. The best highway I have seen EVER in this is 22 mpg and that's driving very conservatively. My average overall is 17 - 18 mpg.

My Edge report card:

styling: A+
comfort: A+
Ride: B
Economy: C-
Overall: B
Social Studies: (haha, just kidding!)

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Nice review!! I'm happy you decided to join the rest of us crazy bloggers! It's fun! I'll recommend your blog to anyone who's in the market for a new car.