
I'm back! I see what all of you fellow bloggers mean when you say that it's sometimes hard to keep up with this....wow, before you know it, an entire week has gone by and all you've done is think about needing to post. I will try to improve at keeping up and maintaining this thing.
Last week, I had a new Mercury Mountaineer suv. This is really just a fancified Ford Explorer so for all intense purposes, this post applies to either vehicle. The Mountaineer is what I consider to be a mid-size suv. It has 3rd row seating but I wouldn't go so far as to attempt to carry around 7 adults in it. In fact, six would be a tight squeeze. Nevertheless, it is of decent size for a modern day station wagon and for the most part is a comfortable vehicle. The powerplant is a 4.0 liter V-6, which is the same tried and true standard engine as the Ford Mustang. It is a smooth runner and has sufficient power for this suv. The transmission shifts almost as smoothly as that of the Ford Edge. The mountaineer is actually built more like a truck in that it is built on a frame, similar to the way all cars used to be. Anyways, because of this and it's heft, it is able to carry a good amount of weight as well as towing a good size trailer when necessary. The fit and finish of both the interior and exterior of the vehicle are very good. The leather has a good, quality feel to it and all of the accessories, compartments, and controls seem to be tight and well put together. One of my favorite features of this line of vehicles is that it has plenty of cupholders. You would think that one person couldn't possibly need more than 2 cupholders within his or her reach but, in my case, you would be wrong. I use cupholders like safe deposit boxes...storing everything from keys and receipts to my digital camera in them. So, I am right at home in the mountaineer, which has four cupholders in the center console between the front seats as well as 1 cupholder in each door! I am also very fond of the positioning of the shift lever, just in front of the center console, between the seats. Again, just as in the Edge and several other new Fords, this just seems like the natural place for it to be and if you usually drive with one hand, it provides a very convenient resting place for your other one. As for the rear seating area, we went on a family outing to eat one afternoon. My brother, seated behind the driver, in the center bench seat, discovered that unless you are a child or have a very small rear end, riding in this seat will result in having a HARD seat belt fastener poking you in the buttocks. When he brought this up, I thought he was nuts but upon taking a look at it, it's true. The stalk that the seat belt receptacle is attached to is HARD and IMMOBILE for the left rear passenger. I am not kidding, if you are wider than 1 1/2 feet from left hip to right hip, this seat would not be for you! I am still in disbelief that they designed this thing this way. The other complaint that we found was that passengers in the front seat, have to watch out for the grab handle that is mounted mid-way down the interior windshield frame...if you aren't careful while getting in and out, it won't feel to good on the ol' noggin'. Otherwise, I liked everything about the interior. As for the exterior, to me these represent the standard suv look. Nothing too special or stylish but just generally a good looking wagon.
As any suv driver will likely tell you, the worst thing about them is the gas mileage. No matter what they do to make them more efficient, they just aren't quite as economical as a mini-van which has just as much, if not more, carrying capacity. The mountaineer averaged 18 mpg for me, with most of my driving being highway driving. If you are doing a lot of city driving, unfortunately, you are going to be looking at 14 - 16 mpg. Keep in mind also that I try to drive conservatively simply because I am interested in finding out just how good of mileage each vehicle can really get. All in all, I would say that this is the worst attribute of the mountaineer/explorer line. The vehicles have a good, quality feel to them and run smooth and flawlessly. The ride is a little stiff but that's to be expected from something that is more truck than car. It may sound like I am down on these suv's but in all actuality, the opposite is true. I like them. I like the way they feel, look, and drive. I just have a hard time with the economical impact that it has when I pull up to the gas pumps! Although I'm certain that some of you will think I'm nuts, I always find myself thinking, if I'm only going to be getting 18mpg, why not just buy the whole enchilada (a suburban)? For a difference of only a few mpg, it's a huge step up in capacity, utility, and comfort. Of course, the mountaineer is considerably easier to maneuver so I suppose it all comes down to how much room we really need and how much suffering we are willing to do in order to get it. If you're looking for a medium-sized suv and don't mind dealing with not-so-great gas mileage, the mountaineer is definitely worth checking out.
Report card:
styling: B
comfort: B
Ride: B
Economy: C-
Drivetrain: A
Overall: B

5 comments:
Interesting. Lemme know if you ever have a chance to drive a new Suburban!!
Will do, Mindy! The suburban is still the KING without question. I'll see if I can line one up to coincide with our next gathering & you can try it out too.
I'm with you on the the seatbelt poker! It really hurt.
The only problem with the burb is gas. Who can afford to drive one (besides Daniel)? I'm wondering about something with GREAT gas mileage?? Not tiny, and not a hybrid. Any thoughts?
Erica, the gas issue with suv's is definitely a problem because none of them get very good mpg's. I find the crossovers such as the pacifica, XL-7, and Taurus X to be better (23 - 25 hwy). The Chevy Equinox & Toyota Rav 4 are just a hair under those (20 -22 hwy).
Post a Comment