

Ok, Erica tagged me so here goes....who would've thought that it would be a difficult thing to try and come up with things to tell about oneself! I'll bet that when we were kids, we would've had no problem with it. Just a sign of how uptight and unimaginative adults become, right? Of course, I can only speak for myself, maybe I'm the only one that actually has to sit and think about what the heck I can tell people about me!
1. I collect lanterns. Primarily Coleman camping lanterns but in reality, any oil lamp, lantern, or fire-burning light is of interest to me. At this time, I would say that I have somewhere around 50 such lights in my collection and they date from as early as 1915 all the way to recent years. I'm sure it seems like a strange hobby but for some reason, these lights have always intrigued me and I love to find old ones and get them burning again. One of the best things about the hobby is that many of these lanterns can be found at garage sales for next to nothing and with a minimum of parts they can work as good as new. I have never found one that was actually worn out beyond repair! The red lantern in the photo on the left is one that I completely restored from a $2.00 scrap at someone's garage sale. They're really quite simple to rebuild with the most difficult part being glass beading the finish and then having it powder coated to look new again. Anyways, the other photo is of an earlier model 200, from 1950. It is my most favorite lantern and was given to me by my grandfather, who used it mostly in his deer blind. He gave it to me, complete with the original box, which he had modified to make it stronger on the sides and top so as to protect the lantern better. To this day, it still burns as brightly as ever and has never been taken apart or rebuilt. Isn't it beautiful; Grandpa really took care of his stuff. As anyone could guess, if I had to pick one lantern to light my way through the rest of my time here, this one is the one.
2. I was in the choir in school. That's right, I'm still a guy but I liked to sing and put on show performances. I can't lie, it was so much fun and I really enjoyed being part of a group that all came together to make a finished product for people to enjoy. We even won a few UIL awards for performances such as Flashdance! To this day, you will still find me singing some of the old tunes that we used to perform in show choir as well as other unmentioned John Denver songs, as Lil' S will gladly point out to anyone who asks! Keep in mind that I'm not saying that I sound good or ever did, I'm simply confessing that I enjoy singing fun songs!!
3. Gotta throw something car related in to keep with my theme, right? My greatest financial and vehicular blunder of my life was when I let a 1957 Chevrolet slip through my hands. There was a church auction in the small town where I was living and this old, retired, doctor, had donated his old car to the cause. I heard about the car and made it a point to attend the auction on that day just in case it was within my price range. After all, this was one of my favorite model cars of all time. Keep in mind that I was very young and fresh out of college so although I had a little money saved, I was still just getting started in life. Anyways, this doctor who donated the car had owned it since new and the only modification that he had made to it was that he had it painted burnt orange, since he was a U.T. graduate. Otherwise, the car had 86,000 miles on it, was licensed, registered, and regularly driven. I checked it out when I arrived and it was a good looking car for one that was all original and unrestored. It could easily have been driven daily without any issues. To make a long story short, it was the last item up for bid and when that moment came, I stood there and listened to the bidding as it rose. However, the bidding got up to only $1500 and no one else was willing to go higher. Knowing that the body alone of this car was worth that or more, I was in disbelief. I had the money but just couldn't bring myself to make the decision that quickly. At the time, $1500 was worth more than it is now, especially to someone fresh out of school and on their own. Nevertheless, it was a deal and I passed it up. That's right, I stood there and watched this guy buy a perfectly good, running, 1957 Chevrolet Bel-Air for $1500. Then, I ate barbecue and thought about my error. Next, I went outside and watched him start the car and drive it home. What a bummer of an evening that was. I could not and still cannot believe that I let that get away. I'm just no good at split-second money-spending, even when I know it's a good deal. Honestly, nine out of ten times, I find this to be a good trait but in this case, it sure failed me.
So, there you have it. Three things about Daniel. As all of the regular bloggers whom I know have already been tagged, I would like to tag Susan. Susan has a blog but it is in need of repair. It's way beyond time for her to do a post so let's hear it Susan...whaddaya say?

4 comments:
I thank God that you're a Country Boy! Any cakes on the griddle? (Tee Hee Hee!)
Now, everyone who reads your blog will start bringing you old lanterns they find at garage sales : ) Very nice post. Grandpa's lantern is beautiful, I'm sure the reinforced box is, too!
Very nice, Daniel. I didn't know any of those things about you! Especially the one about singing. Hahaha! Maybe we need to have a family kareoke night?
Susan has completely wandered off of the blogging reservation. I think she's a lost cause.
Post a Comment