Today is my grandmother's birthday and she is turning 86 years old! I have searched my files and have yet to find a car photo to post with this but I know I have one and I will be posting it as soon as I can locate it and get it scanned in. Hard to even imagine life without digital cameras but it really wasn't that long ago that we had to run to Fox Photo just to get our pictures developed!
Granny has meant so many things to all of us and I could write a post that would take hours to read but instead I will just say that my brother, daughter, and I are lucky enough to have a Granny in our lives who was a pro at spoiling us rotten! Many of our travels all over the United States were facilitated and carried out by her, with her, and for us. I have seen so many historical places as well as so many places that were just fun to go and it's all because of a Granny who loved to travel. I am happy to say that I inherited her "Go" gene, as we always call it! We don't like to sit down for more than a few minutes and we are always coming up with places to go and vacations to take. If only work and time didn't get in the way so much! Hahaha! There is hardly ever a time that we talk when some memories for old trips don't come up and play into the conversation. We have so many funny stories that one could write a very thick book full of them. The heck of it is that we each remember parts of trips and when the book was finished, one of us would read it and have something else to add! The memories are unending and that is the best part.
In connection with a car blog, I have to add that Granny was the primary catalyst for me learning how to drive when I was 15 years old. I used to wait on the steps at her house for her car to pull in from work just so I could meet her at the door to go drive. I honestly don't know how she kept up with us but she was always willing to go! Strangely enough, when I was learning how to drive, one of our, "training grounds" was out at my other grandparents' neighborhood so we would often wind up sitting in their driveway talking and visiting as an intermission to my driving. I remember the first time that Granny and Bob were brave enough to put me on a main road. We ate at a restaraunt about 40 miles from home and they insisted that I drive the car back to the house! Yikes!! It was probably the longest, slowest, 40 mile drive that I have ever driven. Yes, I drove on the access road the entire way back to town! Haha! By the time we arrived in town, it was rather late and there was hardly any traffic so I was able to brave the highway for the last few miles! As a result of their patience and bravery, I learned to drive on all sorts of roads in all sorts of places and I will forever be grateful for that, as it is no secret to readers of this blog how much I enjoy the automobile and driving!
Granny, I thank you for the love of traveling, fun, and just for being you and always showing us what being together and getting away was all about. Thanks for every time that you were probably dead tired and still got up to take us driving, swimming, game playing, and eating out. Most of all, thank you for all of the incredible memories that you have given us. Happy 86th birthday, we love you very much!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Funny, I always remember seeing your "other" grandma when we were growing up. I thought it was strange that we shared Grandma and Grandpa, but we had these other sets of grandparents that were not related to each other. Does that make sense? You are lucky to have two great grandmas. Happy Birthday, Trudy : )
Post a Comment