Ever been to a Stuckey's roadside store? I suppose most people have but, to my memory, I had not. That is until a recent road trip this past week brought myself and a couple of family members to one. If you haven't been, I recommend going. I had heard stories of these places from my parents but had never actually set foot in one. Years ago, they were much more common and easy to find when out on the open road. I suppose that the mass population of modern day convenience stores has taken its toll on them as it has many of the privately owned, individualized stores that used to once populate our country. Nevertheless, Stuckey's is alive and well considering.
Upon entering the store, I found myself thinking, WOW, this place is so much more than a convenience store. They have all kinds of trinkets and food in addition to the regular convenience store fare. Everything from peanut brittle and pecan logs to fresh burgers and chicken strips. If you're just looking for a break on a long drive, as I was, you will find it refreshing to stop and take a look at some of the trick novelties and joke items that they have available for sale. One example is a small wooden box that says...."Inside...3 rare red bees". You open the box and there are three letter "B"'s stamped in red under the lid! They also have rattlesnake eggs and many, many other prank items that you are likely to never see anywhere else. I left the store with a huge pecan log, some maple walnut fudge, and an impression that will cause me to pull over the next time I run across one of these places! I highly recommend stopping by if you see one...it's a blast from the past and you might just find something that you have never seen before!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
That sounds really cool; I haven't been to one of those either...any pictures?
Unfortunately, no pics. I thought I was going to visit again on my return trip but didn't get to. Definitely check one out if you ever run across one on the road!
Post a Comment