Saturday, August 9, 2008

2009 Chevrolet HHR



I recently tried out a brand new HHR for a few days. For those who wonder what the heck HHR stands for, it's, "Heritage High Roof". I know, why did they pick that? No idea here but strange names aside, I was impressed. To be truthful, this is one of those vehicles that I understand people either like the looks or don't like the looks. I would venture to say that the HHR and PT Cruiser are kind of in a class by themselves...not really a car but not really and suv either. Anyways, the HHR beats the PT Cruiser in every possible way that matters to me. I like the looks of this little dude because it definitely has a nostalgic style to it and with the overall shape, it is very reminiscent of auto styling from the 40's and 50's. Like I said, it's one of those that people have a definite opinion regarding the looks. Looks aside, it's a nice little car to boot. I found that it has a good ride, much smoother than many small cars this size. I wouldn't mind taking one of these on a trip and I think it could be comfortable for long treks on the open road. One of the neatest features is that the rear seats lay down flat with the back floor, creating a hard, tough, vinyl flooring that can be used for hauling just about anything. I was able to fit my extra large dog kennel in the back and it was just the right size to where the kennel would not fall over when my dog was standing up inside and I took corners. With the taller roof, the utility of the vehicle is greatly increased in this rear area. Seriously, I would recommend one of these to anyone who is looking for an suv but needs something that is better on fuel. It will seat 4 adults comfortably and still has a nice storage area behind the rear seats. Loading and unloading is a snap with the rear hatch open. As for economy, I averaged 28-29 mpg, doing mostly highway driving. You can expect low to mid 20's in the city and 30-32 if you stick to the highway. The gas tank is big enough that on a road trip, you won't have to gas up too many times due to the 30+ mpg you'll be getting! This particular HHR that I drove was the decked out LT model. As far as I know there are three trim levels, the LS, LT, and SS. All 3 models have the GM Eco 4 cylinder in them. There is a horsepower difference between each and if you're worried about get up and go, the latter two will suit you better. The LS will get 1-2 mpg better and is sufficient but can feel a bit sluggish when trying to hit highway speeds quickly. Of course, this is the price we pay for having to downsize to cars that aren't going to bleed us dry at the gas pumps, right? Anyways, the HHR I drove had the optional running boards which, in my opinion, look great because they add even more of a vintage look to it. It also had a sunroof which is kind of a cool touch for a neat little car. The interior is well laid out and the gauges and instrumentation are easy to read. All of the dash lights and interior lighting are blue/green LED's which create a very calming effect at night.
My only complaint about the HHR is that there are significant blind spots created by the basic design of the vehicle. It's not necessarily HARD to see out of but you are much more closed in than you would be in a regular car and it is noticeable. One just has to get used to that and compensate for it by checking mirros and looking back when changing lanes. On the other hand, I actually like the enclosed feeling that one gets when driving this car. It's neat. Although it's only a little car, when sitting inside, you really do feel like you have some skin around you as opposed to some small cars where you feel like there's a layer of paper thin metal between you and the road. The HHR is a unique, economical, useful car that I found a lot of fun to drive. It is a nice little ride that would serve soccer moms and dads alike while still allowing them to get about 7-10 mpg better than the typical small suv.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

My mom loves hers!

erica said...

Happy Birthday, Daniel! I know I'm a few days late, but I thought about you while we were on vacation. I hope you had a great birthday!!! I still hope we can all get together soon. Love, erica