Wednesday, August 6, 2008

???? On Wheels

I find it interesting where certain sayings that we have all used come from. I find that this is especially true when one finds out that a saying is somehow tied into a topic that he or she likes! I'm sure you've all heard the saying, "Hell on Wheels", right? Did you know that this saying originated from the railroad days of yesteryear? Well, it did. It seems that while the railroads were being built and forming this great country that we live in, the hard working men who were bustin' it out there, liked to partake of certain entertainments after days of workin' on the rails. In fact, what would happen was that the workers would be out constructing these rails and, due to popular demand, there would be a train that would bring out all of the goodies, or not so goodies depending on how you look at it, for them to partake of in their off time. This train carrying such sinful pleasures such as alcohol and women of the night, therefore came to be known as, ?????, you guessed it, "Hell on Wheels". Did anyone else know that? Isn't it weird that we all use and hear such sayings but really have no idea what they originally meant? Thanks to my good friend, JD, who recently shared this knowledge with me while sitting on his back porch during one of our good old fashioned BS'ing sessions! (We still got it, even at our age!) Anyways, I thought it was interesting and as a railroad aficionado, I felt I had to share it.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I didn't know that. Interesting!

john said...

I still need to find that book on railroad history for you.