
I recently have had the opportunity and pleasure to be driving a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT. Having driven several G8's in the past, I already knew that I loved the styling of this car and, to be honest, a 6.0 liter V-8 could only improve upon that right? Truthfully, it's about the only thing that could improve upon it because these cars, in my opinion, just look sweet. The car gets a lot of looks in parking lots and probably more comments than any other vehicle I have ever had or driven. The best part of it is that even the GT comes in right at 30K so it's not nearly as expensive as it looks! True, these models are based upon GM's Australian counterpart, Holden Automotive, but it is the replacement for the long-running Grand Prix and it takes this spot with style. I can only say so much about styling because you really have to see it for yourself. The hood scoops, fender flares, and front fascia give it a refined, yet powerful look. To boot, these cars are real wheel drive which, to an old fogey such as I, feels right. It handles well and is much more driveable when one stomps on the gas. The dual exhaust for both V6 and V8 models is a nice touch that gives a subtle hint of what lurks beneath. For those who don't know, this GT model has a slightly tuned down Corvette engine in it. I say slightly because over 350 HP in a mid-size family sedan still creates a rocket. The acceleration and available power at every speed is most impressive. Again, it is also rear wheel drive so it is more family car hot rod than any other model one can probably buy right now. As you can guess, the looks and power don't come without some economical sacrifice but the good news from my experience is that the V8 and V6 models achieve almost identical gas mileage so if you're able to spend the few extra thousand to get the V8, you won't be sorry. I found that the G8's get about 17/18 city mileage and 24 highway. Overall with both city and highway, I averaged 22.6 miles per gallon which isn't great but it I think it's pretty good considering the style and performance you're getting with it. The interior is different, Australian, I suppose. The window, lock and mirror controls are all located on the center console. The door panels are clean and smooth, the only exception being the door handle to open and close the door. Yes, it's confusing and I wouldn't have it that way by choice but once you're used to it, it's no big deal and it's kinda funny to watch your passenger look for the controls on their barren door! The stereo and A/C controls are all different too but again, once you figure them out after a few days of driving, it all becomes second nature. My biggest pet peeve with the G8 is that the seat reclining control is a knob down on the side/corner of the seat and you almost can't get your hand down there to turn it. When you do, it's a pain in the rump to turn. My grandmother had a camry back in the 80's that had this feature and it was a pain too! One surprising thing about this GT model is that it did not come with leather seats. That's one option that I would expect in a GT model but I guess if the leather option is the difference between getting the 8 or the 6, scratch leather off and go for the POWER, eh?
Other than that, my only other real complaint about the car is that the sound of the engine is too subdued. Most of us who buy this car and opt for the big V8, would like to hear and feel the rumble when we start it up each time. However, this doesn't happen. In fact, in driving the car, neither the driver nor passengers can tell much difference between an 8 and a 6 unless you really stomp on it. Believe me, there is a huge difference if you stomp on it and really need to get up and go but again, just common, economical, everyday driving truly gives no hint of the larger powerplant. Again, to reemphasize, there is a massive amount of power at any time you step on it but just starting it up and cruising through the neighborhood or parking lot exhibits a quiet, tame, attitude. Of course, the looks alone curb any fears that this thing is tame so I guess it doesn't matter, hahaha! 
The G8 is an awesome looking car with the performance to back it up. It has it's quirkiness with location of different controls and interior layout but in some ways, that adds to the uniqueness of the car. Many have complained that it doesn't resemble a Pontiac enough but even if you feel this is the case, who cares? It's a fine looking car with loads of style and performance. You can pick one up for under $30K too! I can't think of any cars that compare that have the low price AND performance of the new Pontiac G-8. Right now, it's in a class by itself and that is one class that I'm willing to sit in on anytime!

2 comments:
cool! I don't think I've ever seen one like that.
Love the G8. For me, it's down to the G8, Nissan GT-R or the 911 C4S.....decisions, decisions, decisions....
Post a Comment