
Some of you may recall that a few posts back, I mentioned the freshly redesigned malibu as one of the recent cars that most impressed me. It is unusual for me to find a car that everything feels good about but the new malibu is pretty much on the spot for me. I'm not usually a fan of four cylinder vehicles because I find that most of the good, V-6 vehicles are capable of getting almost the same mileage. However, the malibus that I have driven have all come with the standard four and I really have no issues with it. The four cylinder has ample power for driving around town or out on the open road. It purrs along at 75 mph very quietly and alhtough it doesn't have the get up and go of the 6's, it does have plenty and is almost as smooth running as the V-6, to the point that you really don't feel like there's a buzzy little four under the hood at all! Most recently, I took a malibu out on the road for a few hundred miles. With only a minimum of city driving, I averaged 29 miles per gallon this time. I feel confident that if I had slowed down 5 - 10 mph and been a little more economically minded with this trip, I could've topped 30 miles per gallon. Nevertheless, for a good sized family car that will seat 5 people, I think that anywhere in the upper 20's is nothing to be scoffed at. In the past, with more city driving, I have still averaged over 20 consistently. The car shifts smoothly and the entire powertrain just has a good feel to it. Sure, I would like them to make it with a 300 horsepower V-8 but who are we kidding, that's not going to appeal to the majority in this day and age. So, given the price of fuel and environmental concerns, I think that this powertrain coupled with this car is a good combination. (Those of you who know me, know that it takes a LOT for me to say this about a four banger!)
On the road, this malibu is quiet and smooth. I have not only been impressed and surprised by how pleasant a ride it has for a non-behemoth car but I have received multiple comments from people with me who don't normally pay much attention to such things. The malibu handles bumps and rough roads very well and, in my opinion, would be a great car to take on a trip.

The interior of the malibu is as smooth as the powertrain. The dash reminds me of the corvettes from the 60's, the way that it has almost 2 cockpits, for lack of a better word. The gauges are extremely convenient and easy to read, as are all of the controls on the instrument panel. The cupholders light up in the center console with a very calming light blue color, which is also the standard color for the dash lights. Additionally, the interior door handles have these light blue lights as well, making it very easy to find them in the dark. This light, led, lighting on the interiors, gives one a very calming effect when in this car at night. I know it sounds corny but the soft, blue, glow just adds to the comfort of this little car. I use the term little lightly because it actually will seat five people. The trunk is roomy enough but could be a little bigger....I was unable to fit my daughter's bike in and still close it. I suspect that by having a little bit smaller trunk, this is how they were able to make the interior more roomy than one would expect. All in all, a fair trade off to me, especially since the rear seats do split and lay down, thereby expanding the trunk for hauling larger items.
I have few complaints or issues with the car and those that I do have are seriously personal and just depend on individual taste. The cupholders in the center console are not the same size. You can place 1 44oz. cup in the large one and that leaves the small one useless because your large cup pretty much covers it up. If you are a regular can drinker, you're safe...you and your passenger each have a center console cupholder. There are also cupholders in the front doors which will accomodate standard cans. I also don't really care for the design of the front of the car. While cute and smooth, it just looks too little to me...it needs a little more bold look...maybe not so clean? Of course, you have to consider that my favorites are the 50's Buicks with grilles that look like they could eat you, hahaha! One other thing, the back of the car is kind of plain and could use a little more tweaking...maybe more of a teardrop look or something. Regardless, these are minor, minor, thoughts of mine and all in all, this is a good looking, good riding, gas sipping car.
I don't normally sound so affectionate towards the new cars I write about but I loved this car. Honestly, for what it is, I don't think any new car recently has impressed me so much. True, it's no G8 but it's not supposed to be. It has a great feel to it and seems to be a very good standard car. I find it more comfortable and smoother than even the likes of the camrys, accords, and impalas that I have driven. There is just something different about the new malibu that truly gives me a feeling of comfort and serenity when driving it. Although you will almost never hear me say this, if I was in the market today for an average priced, average sized, car with four doors, enough room for an average family, and good economy numbers, this would probably be my choice.
My report card:
styling: B
comfort: A
Ride: A
Economy: A
Drivetrain: A-
Overall: A

No comments:
Post a Comment