Most recently, I have been trying out a new Ford Escape. The new Escape, which was redesigned for 2008, received further improvements for 2009, relating directly to increased fuel economy. I was curious to take one out and see if there was really much difference in it and I am happy to report that after driving one a little over 1000 miles, there is most definitely a difference. In fact, I can say without hesitation, that the 2009 Escape is the most economical, non-hybrid, suv that I have driven....ever. Over the entire course of my time with it, I averaged 26.8 miles per gallon and while strictly doing highway driving at 75 mph, I was able to average just a hair under 30 miles per gallon. Of course, the closer you drive to 60 mph, the better you're going to get. Nevertheless, I drove it normally and was still impressed with the above numbers! I know that there were multiple improvements which allowed this to happen, the most significant one probably being the new 6-speed automatic transmission. This gives the escape a higher gear to kick into that really seems to make a difference. For me, the economy of this vehicle is most impressive. This particular model, the limited, has a V-6 which has more than ample power for tooling around with or even for hauling a small trailer or boat to the lake. Again, I was in disbelief that I was actually driving a V-6 powered suv that wasn't an econo-box and I was still able to approach almost 30 miles per gallon.
On the road, the escape handles well and is comfortable to drive. No, it's not as smooth or plush as an Expedition or suburban but it is definitely above average for a small suv. There is some road noise that is mostly noticeable when at highway speeds with the stereo turned off but it isn't any worse than most of the suv's. After all, an suv is a big box on wheels and there is only so much dampening between the rear wheels and the seating. It has four cupholders in the center console which is convenient, and the center console opens up to a very large storage area inside as well. The limited model also had a unique feature that allows you to change the color of the led lights that light up the cupholders and floor areas in both the front and rear of the vehicle. I'm not sure of the need for color changing but it really is nice to have lights in these normally dark areas where things get lost at night and one almost needs a flashlight to find them. The seats are comfortable and the controls on the instrument panel are all easy to reach and easy to read, making the driving experience an overall pleasant one. Again, not as comfortable as the full size suv's BUT the trade off is that it will consume considerably less fuel while getting you to your destination.
I would classify the escape as being comfortable for a family of four and being ok to haul around 5 people on occasion. However, a family of 5 would probably want something with a little bit wider rear seat if they were all going to be riding in it on a daily basis. For hauling duties, the rear seat splits and folds down flat with the rear cargo area, creating quite a good size space to carry whatever you may need to carry. I was able to fit my full size dog crate in it and still have a significant amount of room for other equipment or whatever you need to carry around.
Overall, I was most impressed with the new escape. I already liked the design changes made in 2008 and the efficiency upgrades for 2009 really boost it into a different category. If you really want an suv and don't haul more than four people around too often, this would be an outstanding choice that will still get above average fuel economy. My hat is off to Ford for this one.
My report card:
styling: B
comfort: B
Ride: B-
Economy: A
Drivetrain: A-
Overall: B+
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment