For the past week, I have been trying out a new Rav 4. Unfortunately, I didn't do as much highway driving as I normally do in the course of a week but I still got a pretty good feel for this little suv. I must say that between the Ford Escape that I had a few weeks ago and this Rav 4 now, I am impressed by the overall improvements that both of these vehicles exhibit in regards to economy. (Mindy, don't feel bad, I have a camera but was just too lazy to take a picture of this one...isn't that sad, haha!)
Previously, I had driven a 2007 Rav 4 that usually averaged about 20mpg at best, which I felt just wasn't good enough for a small vehicle of it's size. Well, the new one was able to achieve an average of 21mpg in the city and about 26 mpg on the highway, from a peppy four cylinder engine that ran quite smoothly and was plenty capable for the little suv. It's no V-6 but it is plenty for this size vehicle. I suspect that with more highway driving and keeping one's speed in check, the new Rav4 could probably even get another 2 - 3 mpg better, putting it even with the Escape on the gas mileage chart. On the road, the suv doesn't have the smoothest ride but it is very stable and the ride noise is minimal...another issue that pops up many times with suv's. Anyways, it's a comfortable ride and for a small vehicle, I would say better than average.
The interior of the Rav 4 is well laid out. It has what I refer to as a double glove box. There is a regular glove box and then an almost secret compartment that opens up above the glove box for added storage. It's really neat but in the past, I have had a lot of issues with the button not working that opens it...it's a mechanical button on the dash next to the compartment and after some wear and tear, you really have to jab it to get the thing to open. The gauge cluster is easy to read and most of the controls are within easy reach of the driver. I took my mother to run some errands and I have to add that, of all of the vehicles I have tested, I think that my Mom found the Rav 4 seats to be the most comfortable for her. This is not to say that they are the most comfortable...simply that my Mom ALWAYS finds the headrests in vehicles to be in the wrong position to fit her and the Rav 4's were just right...so much so that she actually remembers the name of the vehicle which is more than I can say for her sons' names! Hahaha! Anyways, the seats are comfortable and the driving position is nice. I would normally have classified a smaller suv like this as a mom vehicle but with fuel costs up and the economy down, it seems that we will see more and more fathers with smaller vehicles too. One noticeable feature of the this particular small suv is the amount of headroom and legroom. I was most impressed with how much room there is in the rear seating area as well as the front. Additionally, as an option, you can actually get a 3rd row seat in the Rav4 which would probably be almost non-functional except for small children but nevertheless, it is an option. With the seating for 4 (5 if the kids are small) that this model had, there was also plenty of storeroom in the rear cargo area. The flooring in the rear cargo area lifts up to reveal small storage compartments as well. One thing that didn't impress me was how poorly the lid on storage in the cargo area is made. It's almost as if they just took a piece of the floor and laid it there to cover a hole....barely attached. Anyways, in reality, how often do most of us use the little storage areas, right? Another thing that bothered me, you could guess this one, the cupholders in the front. These are the worst I have seen in recent years. First of all, there are only 2 of them. (I know, only 2 people sit up there but I always have more than 1 cup or can to store!!!) How hard would it be for all car manufacturers to just incorporate a molded cup holder into the door panel...those are so nice and in addition to giving us an extra place for a cup or bottle, they also make it easier to fish things out of the dang door panel storage area! Anyways, the real issue for me is that the 2 cupholders that it does have are too small. I couldn't even fit my big, honkin' 44 oz. cup in one because there isn't room between the dash and the cupholders..they are too far forward and too close together. I digress. With this exception and the fact that I know the secret glove box compartment isn't going to work as flawlessly as it should, the interior is of great quality and very user friendly.
I really like the styling of the Rav4 as well. It has a more unique look to it than many of the suv's coming out today...although they are all boxes, there's no reason that they have to look that way, right? Again, my mother was impressed with what she refers to as, "the continental kit", meaning the covered spare tire attached to the rear cargo door. I suppose if you know what that term meant, you are at least as old as I am! By the way, a unique feature of these suv's is that they are one of the few that has a rear door that swings out instead of up. I don't know why. The only advantage I know of is that the door is actually easier to open and close than one going above your head. However, it can be a problem if you are in your garage or in a parking space with something or someone close behind you because you won't be able to open the door all the way!
Overall, I am impressed with the new smaller suv's that are coming out. I think that most of the car companies have gotten on the wagon now and we are starting to see the beginning of increased efficiency. The Toyota Rav4 is a good example of this and I believe would serve any small family or couple well. It has a good, nimble feel to it on the road and with the exception of a minimal buzzing feeling from the 4 banger, it runs quite smoothly and is a comfortable vehicle. Please don't confuse this as meaning that it's as smooth or as nice as cars like the Chevrolet malibu or Nissan Maxima...because it isn't. For me, that's like comparing apples to oranges....this is an suv not a car and if you want an suv that rides as smoothly and quietly as a car, you're going o have to go considerably larger than this size class. Nevertheless, for what it is, it does well. Of course, it is impossible for me not to compare it with the new escape that I just had but perhaps I will save that for another post!
My report card:
styling: A-
comfort: B
Ride: B-
Economy: B+
Drivetrain: B+
Overall: B+
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment